1300 30 50 30

24 Hours a Day. 7 Days a Week

Why Mould Makes You Sick and What Steps to Take Next

Tiny amounts of mould exposure most likely will not make you sick, however across sustained periods of exposure along with mould that is growing, it can definitely cause irritation and respiratory issues for anyone who has come into contact with it. Those who are most at risk are people with compromised immune systems including children and the elderly and anyone with chronic lung disease or asthma. Mould makes you sick because it establishes a new area in the home to grow and starts to create hundreds and thousands of spores which become airborne and are inhaled by those living or working at the property. Once these spores enter your respiratory system your body works hard to get rid of them and remove them. This causes the range of symptoms you may experience.

Why mould makes you sick and what steps to take next

What Steps Do I Take If I Find Mould In My Home?

1. Get an expert inspection – it’s important to determine the type of mould you have. In most cases professionals are required to fully remove the mould. So to avoid health issues have an expert check the areas affected.

2. If possible to clean yourself, make sure you are well equipped (including a mask and overalls) and be sure not to spread the mould in your attempts to remove it.

3. Dampen the mouldy area well with a rag and plain water, this will help stop mould spores from entering the air.

4. Once the affected areas have been soaked, remove the mouldy materials (ideally under negative air pressure) to stop them from reforming.

5. Once all areas of mould have been removed and treated, the property must be dried to ensure that mould does not grow again. Call Kleen-Tech for an expert inspection if you’re based anywhere in Melbourne or the surrounding suburbs.