What to do When Plasterboard Gets Wet

What To Do When Plasterboard Gets Wet

Call 1300 305 030 For Water Damage Restoration in Melbourne.

Plasterboard is an important part of your home’s structure. However, you probably don’t give it much thought unless you must like if for example your home experiences flooding.

While plasterboard is a good sturdy material making it a very common building material, when it becomes wet and stays wet it can suffer damage. It may lose its structural integrity, becoming soft and weak. Depending on the amount of water and the source of it, it may be possible to rescue the plasterboard. As with any water damage in the home though, time is a crucial factor and you must act promptly.

The first thing you’ll need to do is check the plasterboard for moisture. This can be done either by using a moisture meter if you can get access to one or you can use a screwdriver to poke holes. If the plasterboard is soft, it’s wet.

After checking the plasterboard, you’ll want to check the interior of the wall. Again, this can be done with a moisture meter or you can make a larger hole where the studs are and look for signs of moisture on them. If there’s insulation inside the walls you’re checking it is imperative to check for moisture, especially if it is fibreglass or cellulose. If moisture is present, you will need to cut the walls about 60cm up and remove any insulation. If the walls have been left wet for several days they should also be cut whether there is insulation or not.

Insulation is used for its R-value, which is a measure of resistance to heat flow through material. When it gets wet it loses its R-value and becomes just a potential mould growth spot.

Walls and insulation that are affected by water damage will retain moisture for a surprisingly long time which will lead to mould colonies growing. If your plasterboard shows any signs of mould, you will need to replace some or all of it. Mould can cause serious health complications and you’ll want wet and unsalvageable materials out of your home as soon as possible – especially if there are very young or elderly residents.

While you can check for moisture yourself, it’s best to have any damaged materials removed by the trained experts at Kleen-Tech. Improper removal will lead to mould spores spreading to other areas of the house and causing further damage. As mentioned mould can be very harmful, especially to those with allergies and respiratory problems. Our professionals will have the necessary safety equipment to ensure hazard-free removal of any mould growth.

If you have any water damage or queries about mould and what to do when you spot it, you can call our team 24/7 on 1300 305 030 for rapid dispatch in the Melbourne area.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.