1300 30 50 30

24 Hours a Day. 7 Days a Week

Health Effects of Mould In Your Property

Mould is a type of fungi that can grow anywhere within your property and in the outdoor area. What are the health effects and why should you have a mould restoration company check the structures of your home? If left unattended, mould will continue to grow and reproduce by spores. Spores are airborne particles of mould that spread to other areas and begin growing. Anyone who inhales these spores can experience respiratory irritation and other adverse health affects. Below we’ll outline the types of health effects that you can experience if you inhale or touch mould by accident.

Health Effects of the Inhalation of Mould

When mould begins to reproduce and spread around your property they do so by spores. Mould spores are tiny, single-celled reproductive mould units that are capable of growing new mould in other areas. Once they are airborne, they can resettle in another damp area and grow without constriction. Additionally the spores are airborne meaning that large amounts of them can be inhaled by anyone within the vicinity. In homes and properties mould spores are a common cause for respiratory irritation and some of the most common health effects are listed below:

  • Shortness of breath
  • Asthma attacks
  • Irritation in the respiratory system
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Coughing
  • Burning in lungs
  • Tightness in chest
  • Sinus irritation
  • Altered taste
  • Dry cough
  • Nose irritation
  • Throat irritation
  • Smell sensitivity
  • Uncontrollable sneezing

Health Effects of Touching Mould

If you accidentally come into contact with a large growth of mould in your property by accident you are likely to experience a few side effects. These include irritations to the areas that have made contact with the mould as well as internal complications if that mould is then accidentally ingested. The main health effects from touching mould include:

  • Acne
  • Skin rashes
  • Dermatitis
  • Eye irritations and itchy eyes
  • Rashes or hives
  • Redness on the skin

What do i do if i find mould in the house?

If you see evidence of mould anywhere in the house, we recommend phoning in a mould remediation specialist to restore your property and inspect any other areas of the house. They will use certified technicians, safety protective clothing and professional equipment to clean the mould and remove all traces of it. Additionally we recommend inspecting areas of your home that have low ventilation such as the basements, kitchens or bathrooms and check for any signs of mould. The faster you act, the quicker the cleanup. As soon as you notice any signs of mould it’s best to have it cleaned right away to prevent further costs in the future. Once mould infiltrates the structures of your property the costs can go up exponentially and result in loss of business or the loss of your home for a sustained period of time. If you have found mould in your Melbourne based property, phone Kleen-Tech on 1300 305 030 to speak to one of our friendly professionals on which steps to take next.